8. FCE Essays
You have to write an essay, so this is the first thing you should learn to write. Essays are about giving information and your opinions, comparing and contrasting.
Title: Use a title at the top of your essay. The title should be interesting so that someone would want to read the article. Imagine two friends share a link on Facebook. Which are you more likely to click on?
Why Pollution is Bad
Climate Change is Fake, and Here's Why
Most people would click on the second one! You don't have to be so provocative in your essay, but do try to make it interesting.
Structure: Use the task as the structure. In the example from question 4, you could have these paragraphs:
- The Transport Pollution Problem
- Pollution in Rivers and Seas
- Pollution at Home
- Try to connect the title you have chosen with the conclusion. If you call your essay 'Climate Change is Fake!' you should end by saying 'and that's why climate change is not real.'
- You should write in a balanced way - don't only say that something is good or bad. Example:
'It's clear that pollution from cars is a big problem that should be looked at. The air in some cities is not fit for humans. But the car isn't totally a villain - it's also a symbol of freedom for many people. So we need a solution that lets people drive their cars, but without being too harmful. For example, electric cars let people get to work but are cleaner than diesel engines.'
- As a minimum, move from paragraph to paragraph by using phrases like 'firstly, secondly'. But try to learn some more advanced versions, too.
- There's more help in this article:
A big thank you to Cork English Teacher for his wonderful materials.
1. FCE Exam Essay Examples
2. FCE Exam Writing Sample: My Hometown
3. FCE Exam Writing Sample: My Favourite Hobby
4. FCE Exam Writing Sample: The Person I Most Admire
More for you:
19 Email Templates for Business Communication
Formal and Informal Email Phrases Starting with Greetings